Thursday, February 05, 2009

Its official: YURI'S NIGHT 2009 @ WAREHOUSE DC!!!!

That's right, you heard it here first. Yuri's Night 2009 got the official green light for April 11 @ the Warehouse Arts Complex. So polish up that space suit, cuz we are going to start the countdown clock RIGHT NOW:

64 days Until Yuri's Night 2009!!!

Over the next few weeks I will start putting promotion into high gear...and sending out a call to artists...and getting the burlesque acts together...and update/improve the website...and the bands...and the DJs...and the vodka sponsorships...and the decor....and....and...(just drop me a line if you would like to get involved in any way...)

Now on to the recent past. As promised, below are some photos from the DC Mardi Gras debutante pushing madness!

Mike, Jared, Matt and Scott...did you know we all had the same tailor?

You can see the fear in my eyes!

Psst...Scott must be drinking...he's seeing elephants!

So, there are a number of other photos posted on Facebook (which more prominently feature my lovely wife, Kirstra and Rob) but I don't want to be redundant with the ole bandwidth...lets just say that there's lots of photos of when we were waiting to go push...but precious few of the actual madness in the ballroom, because, well, we were pretty focused on staying alive AND pushing...

The other big accomplishment this week can be filed under: "ask and ye shall receive". You see, I was working on the design for Follies, and I realized that what I really needed for Act II was a large group of cherubs. But it would be a giant pain in the butt making a multitude of heavenly host in the shop. I remembered that Pentagon City Mall uses cherubs for their Christmas decor...one volley of emails and phone calls later, and they are asking me to haul away all of their cherubs, because they were throwing them away...

Six large, and four small gold cupids on the scene shop floor

Here I am demonstrating how they are going to be suspended at the theater (and demonstrating relative scale...the big ones are about 3 1/2 foot tall!)

Needless to say, I am incorporating them into the second rounds of design for follies:

Follies Act I second sketch
Pencil and Photoshop, 1/8"=1'


Follies Floorplan
Vectorworks, 1/8"=1'

Follies Act II second sketch
Pencil and Photoshop, 1/8"=1'

This next week I am going to "come to Jesus" on the final designs for follies...paint 90% of MUMBO...and have first production meetings for Yuri's Night and WALMARTOPIA...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, nice to see your Vectorworks drawings up on your blog. (Yes, I work for the company that makes the software.)

When I saw "burlesque" and "DC" in your blog post, I wondered in you might know Trixie Little and the Evil Hate Monkey. Looks like you do, indeed! ;-) I'm in Columbia, as is Nemetscheck NA, the company behind Vectorworks.

Best of everything to you in your Yuri's Night production.

Jared said...

Thanks VectorJess! I really love your product! Of course, I am using it as part of my job with Arlington County (version 12) and not my work for T&M...for some reason, burlesque performers don't need drafting as much as "proper" theater folk.

As you can see, I have bent the program to my will (i.e. I'm not taking advantage of all the program has to offer) as I have with Photoshop...but if you want other examples of my crazy vectorworks methodology, just go a few months back in this blog...

Hope to see you Nemetscheck folks at Yuri's Night!