Friday, August 16, 2013

Summer Roundup (All of July, and Half of August)

Its been a weird summer, and we still have two weeks left! Below is a round up of the summer's adventures and artwork.

So, first, we had the appearance of the "Concession Stand Kids" on the Arch Campbell Show. Below are the best stills I could find, but really, you should watch the show (HERE) because it is, well, a real...um...well...you kinda had to be there...







 Most of the actual appearances of the Concession Stand Kids have been lost to the mists of time...however, we did get a few good shots on the last night of the Union Market DC Drive In (Photos by Tom Kochel. (C)2013 Jon Gann/ReelPlan)
SNOW-CAPS, COLONEL KERNEL, BUBBLES and HOT DAWG
FemCee KITTIE GLITTER hosted most nights

Four Sold-Out Nights in July/August!
It might be burying the lead a bit by putting the artwork last, but it has been an unusual summer for me artistically. I started out the summer making some small "quickies" (small 5"x7" paintings that I don't spend more than an hour on) in order to start exploring new ideas. below is an example:
 
Vaudeville "Quickie" 5"x7" Acrylic on Masonite.
 I started to think that perhaps it was painting that was getting me down...so I decided to start working on some drawings on paper to loosen me up...

The first piece (below) is called "Man In The Moon". It is a departure from my normal mode of painting monkeys...I like the results, and it am looking forward to making more work like it...This piece will be exhibited at the Artromp Anacostia (which opens next Friday August 23rd)

Man In The Moon, Mixed Media on Paper, 11"x15"
After Man in the Moon I started to get that monkey itch again. So, I started work on a small series of work that centered on monkeys ineptly trying to fake different hoaxes. I am calling the series "Faking It"
Faking it: Nessie, Mixed Media on Paper, 15"x11"
Faking It: Bigfoot, Mixed Media on Paper, 11"x15"
Faking it: UFO, Mixed Media on Paper, 11"x15"
Faking it: Painted Rocks, Mixed Media on Paper, 11"x15"

 The last in the series (Painted Rocks) is going to be exhibited at the Annmarie Sculptural Garden and Arts Center during their "Humor Me" exhibit (Opens October 18th)

I will leave you with something cryptic...as a harbinger of things to come....


No comments: