Thursday, August 29, 2013

Studio Cleanout is Nigh

There have not been very many groups building in the scene shop this summer, consequentially, I have seized the opportunity to start/finish a number of projects that have been on the "to-do" list. Many of these projects involve simple cleanup (we installed new pneumatics, added more hooks, organized the prop loft, etc) and it has been very satisfying to see a clean shop now that groups are starting to trickle back in. This past week I have extended the cleaning spree to the home studio. I cleaned out, and re-organized everything (so, not much art was actually made), I even went through the bookshelf and found a stack of books to sell back. I had about 10-15 big books to take to the used bookstore. They gave me $10 store credit, and refused to take half of them! Anyway, in the end, it means that I have a cleaner home studio, and that I am ready to get back to business.

(Oh, BTW, I got my annual strep throat infection this past week also...caught it at the first sign of a sore throat...so I dont even have illness as a valid excuse for not painting!)

Last Friday's ArtRomp went every well. (thanks for asking) BYT did a photo essay on the event HERE

Anyway, I started a piece this morning. It's for ArtWhino's new space's opening event. The theme is "transformation" which seemed to be more about finding odd substrates than anything truly thematic...so, I found an old piece of scenery to paint on, and went to town. I realize that the photo is not great (camera-phone) but that is partially due to the fact that I have painted the small luan flat as if it were an old piece of metal....so some of the problems in the photograph are due to the glare of the silver paint. I am hoping to get it finished by Saturday's deadline...


NIGH (tentative title) 18"x48" Acrylic on Luan (in progress)

No comments: