Thursday, June 20, 2013

Spring staggers into Summer

It's been a busy month since the last post, although it doesn't look like it judging from the photos (that's cuz I make this sh!t look easy...)...believe me, its actually quite painful...

Anyway, the big news is the opening of Richard Campbell's FRANKENSTEIN, by Landless Theatre Company. This is the biggest production to date for LTC, which is producing the show at the Gala Hispanic Theater in the Tivoli (Columbia Heights)...you can get Tickets HERE. I designed, built and painted this sucker almost single handed! The show has been a challenge all around, but its been particularly frustrating for me because the lighting designer left the production with only a couple of weeks to go, and I had centered my design around the idea that this was going to be a "rock concert" sorta show (i.e. scenery takes a back seat to lighting)...so, its been a bit of a nail biter in the end, but I think that the new LD did a fine job making the show look appropriately rock-opera/creepy...

The Frankenstein Set as it was being painted in Late May.
Frankenstein Set mere moments after install...production photos coming soon.
 Aside from LTC's Frank, I have been busy trying to catch up with some Art By Jared housekeeping...which mainly entails trying to form a new entity (legally, as well as, er, spiritually) that we are calling Astro Pop Events. One of the first things on the agenda, we need a logo. Below are some of the initial sketches that I have sent along to our Design guru, Jason Pasch, who is collaborating on making us a kick butt logo that everyone will want a T-Shirt of....
The idea is that we are playing on the acronym created by Astro Pop Events...or APE
I really liked the directness of this pencil sketch because it seemed to incorporate all of the elements we were looking for


Here's the same logo in a less rough form...also helping to work our color schemes...
 So, what is on the horizon for APE? Well, this summer we actually have a gig lined up...I cant really discuss it at this point in detail, but it has something to do with the cryptic photo below:




No comments: