Friday, March 08, 2013

Voltron's Corpse Robot Progress Shots


Voltron's Corpse Exhibit "Mecha Monkey" triptych. Progress shot 3/8/13 1:30pm
I've started painting my three paintings for Voltron's Corpse in earnest now. Actually I had started painting about a week ago, but its taken that long to just get the gantry right (the perspective on the "gantry" scaffold was never going to be perfect...but I needed to get it to the point where it was not going to be offensively wrong...and really, I was happy to settle for it becoming simply "background" and "intentionally wonky")

Just to keep you kids up to speed, Voltron's Corpse is the art show in the Artisphere's WIP gallery that will accompany Countdown to Yuri's Night (4/13/13...T-Minus 37 days). The show involves interchanging robot paintings made by 15 artists.

I've decided to go the giant mecha route. I've set my painting as a giant monkey mecha being assembled in a hangar (or gantry) by (what else?) monkeys. I think that my robot will be the only "headless" one in the bunch. I guess I was riffing on the idea that we would be "assembling and re-assembling" the robots during the course of the show. So why not show a robot being assembled? Anyway, I have a few more days work left on Mecha Monkey...I am almost done with the mecha, then its on to the fun part: Monkeys!

And, for comparison, here is the painting from last Friday:

Mecha Monkey Progress 3/1/13

No comments: