Friday, April 04, 2008

T-Minus 8 days and counting to YURI'S NIGHT 2008!

"I COMMAND YOU, PUNY EARTHLING, TO GO TO
WWW.OUTOFTHISWORLDPARTY.COM
AND GET TICKETS FOR NEXT SATURDAYS YURI'S NIGHT PARTY!!!!"


So, as you can see, even the our alien overlords are planning to attend the party...

As promised, below are the progress shots from the different "planet bars". First we have the finished product for the Venus bar:
Venus Bar for Yuri's Night 2008
Acrylic on Luan

I think she turned out pretty well. I was, and am always, concerned about making women's faces look convincing, yet somewhat nontraditional. Since I don't have any specific models to copy, I aim towards a direction for beauty and hopefully get there. I started out, in the sketch, with a youngish, innocent type for Venus. So, I started going in that direction. In the end I probably wound up hitting a "Molly Ringwald" sort of beauty (with a hint of vixen)...needless to say, I know how to quit while I am ahead...

The next planet from the sun (excluding earth, of course) is Mars. After an aborted start, I decided to try working out all of the other connotations of Mars....
Mars Bar for Yuri's Night 2008
Acrylic on Luan (still in progress)

The little green men idea seemed to be thing that inspires me most about Mars. So, I just decided to throw all the best little green men together. I really hope that the cease and desist orders don't start coming in...I want Warner Brothers to know that I grew up with Marvin, and I have the utmost respect for his visage (it has been over used at every flea market in the world) and only try to represent him here as a sort of homage to a great character. I hope that the lawyers out there will realize that I am in including him as a Renaissance painter would have included John the Baptist in a painting about Jesus...Speaking of "Jesus", that role is being played by another copyright skirting visage, The Head Martian from Mars Attacks! I really couldn't see Yuri's Night that I put together without a reference to this great set of trading cards painted by Norm Saunders! AKK AKK AKK AKK!!!
Photo of both bars in progress at the shop

I am still trying to make the Saturday deadline for completion of Neptune...here's the sketch:

Neptune Bar Sketch
Pencil and Photoshop

And here's the progress so far:
So, Hopefully, I will get all these done in time to begin painting the ArtWhino Space all next week. I will post progress on the backdrop and other party prep as it becomes available...

No comments: