Thursday, August 02, 2007

Mermaid o' the Mist

Another whirlwind weekend. This Saturday I got to see the scenery for the super secret show in action at the Warehouse. My pictures are really crappy though...and I seems that I will have to wait for better pictures from the official Fringe photographer...which means I shouldn't hold my breath. Its a good thing I took those photos in the shop... the ones I posted last week...
Production photo of Trixie's Super Secret Show at the Warehouse Theater
This is the best I could get, without disrupting the show

I would like to make it clear that the show was friggin' FANTASTIC. I think that they should tour this puppy around the country, it was that good. (if they do that, I will have to talk to them about doing a program for the show...so I can see my name in print as the "set designer"...but I take no credit for the desk....)

Anyway, after the super secret show, we went to Deb's housewarming party in Germantown. (we missed the opening of the splashpark around the corner of or house) and returned kinda late to the closing party for Art in Heat. We had to leave early from that because we needed some shuteye for the Yard Sale on Sunday. The Yard Sale made us some money, and got rid of lots of stuff, which can be counted as an overall success. That evening KT and I crashed hard, so we missed one of the many "farewell to the Warehouse" evenings. But that farewell was to be short lived for me, because on Monday night I accompanied Scott in the process of taking down all of the art in heat artwork and redistributing it to the artists. We joke about not wanting to do another one next year, but I think we might do another one...just you wait...(I also used this uncertainty to start rumblings about Yuri's Night 08)

So then the marathon effort of getting the Mermaid Misting tent backdrop made started. Yes, I was able to complete the project in under a week...and all told, perhaps only two days! The idea for the tent was to have some sort of underwater scene. So I wracked my brain for underwater imagery and came up with the idea of having Poseidon watersking on crocodiles. I did a quick sketch, and the rest fell into place...
Poseidon Riding Crocs
Pastel on black paper, 12"x16"

I was going to do this on three flats, the 4'x7' flats left over from Bill Crandall's Chernobyl show, hinged together. So I had to change to proportion of Poseidon a little bit, But all of the other elements seemed to fall into place...
Left Panel (Poseidon) of Mermaid backdrop
4'x7', Acrylic on LuanCenter Panel (Moai) of Mermaid Backdrop
4'x7', Acrylic on Luan
Right Panel (Diver) of Mermaid Backdrop
4'x7', Acrylic on Luan

And here's the finished product standing in the shop:Mermaid Misting Tent Backdrop
12'x7', Acrylic on Hinged Luan Panels

So, go on out to the Virgin Festival this weekend, and get cool at the misting tent!

Next week, I will have photos of the model for Joseph...and they start building in the shop!

No comments: