Thursday, March 08, 2007

Guilty!...of not blogging!

My absence from the bloggosphere has largely been due to the murder trial I was serving as a juror on. In the end we found the guy guilty of shooting his AK47 into the street (and killing one person) in Southwest DC. I hope that he has a good long time to think about what he did. As for me, I am glad that I am getting my life back...

Lots of things have happened since we last, er, spoke. Since then, Hexagon has loaded into Duke Ellington, and has opened. One of the last pieces of the set design was the "freak banners". The idea was to have a large sideshow banner "wall" that would portray different politicians as "freaks"...below are the eight that made the cut. They are all 8'x8', and painted over a four day period.I didn't really know who Sam Brownback was...now he 's running for President...in fact, there are so few caricatures of him, that he turned out looking a bit like Al Gore!Tony Snow is another relatively nondescript white guys...so I played up the whole FOX NEWS connection...
I hope that BtT wont get banned in Iran for this!
The older writers in Hexagon are a bit paranoid about Blackberrys...then again, how do you make fun of a mayor who has been in office for only a month!
Because of Anna Nicole Smith, this has become "old news"...I still think its funny...BTW, she is being propelled by a can of "pepper spray"!
Not limited enough!
I didn't want to be too mean here...but I think that the pink power suit says it all...
He's so cute!This is a fire truck that will be on one one of the carts for the traditional "save the baby" clown fireman routine...Here is a bad cameraphone photo of dry tech...you get an idea of how the banners look all together...This is a picture of the "false proscenium arch" sitting just off the stage floor, ready to be hoisted into position. Its about a 30' span, with no cables holding it up from above! The whole thing weighs about 200 lb...
And here it is during dry tech. The arch is up and lit (the little lights even chase), the spotlight operators are inside, and you can see three of the five carts in this picture.

I think that this is going to be a really great production this year, I have tickets for this Saturday, so next week I can give you my review. I would like to encourage anyone reading this to think about going to see this show. Since all proceeds go to Ronald McDonald house, it is theater for a good cause, not just my designs...

Other than Hexagon, these past few weeks of jury duty have given me a chance to, do my taxes, hang out at the Raven with Greg and Scott, go to Dr Sketchy's at Palace of Wonders...(we are now looking into having Molly Crabbapple be the third event in the Art in Heat lineup)

I also did not win any WATCH awards...as usual, I was robbed (I was nominated for Best Set Design, Noises off and also Best set Painting, Pirates of Penzance)

The other GINORMOUS event that happened was Tug of War at Hemphill. All of the big lowbrow folks were included in the show (I got to meet Glenn Barr!) and that of course includes Scott Brooks. If you missed the opening, then you missed the opportunity to buy Scott's work...snooze you loose!
Me, Scott and Greg at Tug of War (it was really hot inside...because it had these three hot artists, duh!)

Lastly, the other project I have been working on is being the scenic painter for Rep Stage's production of Bach at Leipzig. It is a "Milagros..." designed set, so there is plenty of painting to do. I spent the better part of three days painting faux marble for the floor!
Somehow the cameraphone makes this marble look really fake. In person it is (if I may immodestly say so) really quite convincing. This is 24 panels out of 200...

Because of my Jury duty, I have not been to class for the last two weeks (actually three because of the Presidents day holliday...and its "spring break" next week...for a total of 4 weeks before I return!) so I have no classwork to show...

No comments: