Friday, January 26, 2007

Corcoran Mondays

So, my interview with the MICA folks only went so-so. They just don't seem to "get it" there. I was told as much, actually. They said that they "didn't know what to make of my theater work", and couldn't visualize where my work would go. That in combination with the fact that when the "mentors" look at the candidates, they would choose people who they think that they could work with (read "This guy is too much of a pain in the ass because he doesn't fit our expectations, or fit into our mold of what an artist should become, and taking him on would be too much work for me") What I took away from this meeting was that if I wanted to be accepted into their program, I would need to: Drop the theater work, become less "design" oriented, and provide more emotion in my work...I am really starting to think that the benefits of the structure of this program are not worth sacrificing my identity, process and treasure (60k is no laughing matter!)

But exposition on why grad school sucks is not why I am writing this blog, and its not how to keep my three subscribers reading every week (hi Scott, Sara and Greg!) perhaps I should shoot myself and just get it over with.... :)

On the positive front, I started my Continuing Education classes at the Corcoran on Monday. The first class is "14 Paintings in 14 weeks"...which is an ironic title, since we did not paint on the first week...perhaps I will have to paint two paintings in one week in order to catch up!

The second class of the day is "Academic Portrait Painting", in which we at least drew. Below is the product of the first day of class. Academic Portrait Painting, First Session. Charcoal on Canvas.

This model sat down and immediately cast her eyes at my easel. She then seemed to find it hard to keep her eyes open...so that is why she looks kinda sleepy while kinda confrontational...I tried to take a cameraphone picture of her at the end of class (to compare my drawing to) but she insisted that I would have to pay her for 2 hours of modeling if I take a picture. I told her that "If I'm paying for two hours, I'm going to put her in a pose that I want". The next step is to spray fixative, and then paint on top of the charcoal. I'll send along more shots as the painting progresses...

And Finally, Please come out to Dr. Dremo's in Arlington for the Counter Cultural Festival on Saturday. I'll be one of the vendors, and be soakin' up the scene all night! More info go to: www.dcconspiracy.com

1 comment:

Gregory Ferrand said...

Looking good Jared. Keep on keeping on man!