Thursday, June 08, 2006

Slobbolicious

Mostly this week has been dominated by the yard sale. It went well, however I was surprised at how much a difference being in Petworth created. We hardly sold anything before 10am. But through bursts of activity we sold almost everything, collectively making around $450…

Getting life back together after vacation is hard, and filled with little things that you wouldn’t mention as bothersome because they are routine. This week had lots of that, but I think I am over the hump by now (even though it’s Thursday, not Wednesday when I am writing this).

Painters elevation for Fiddler on the Roof
Colored pencil on paper

I finished, or “handed in” the designs for JOSEPH. It was really just dimensioning what I had already drawn. I don’t know how some designers do it without a computer…After that, I hit the ground running and did the painters elevation for the Chagall-esque Annatevka. Hopefully this will be sufficient for Chris, because I will not be pleased if I have to change it….

On Saturday we went to see Pirates of Penzance at Wolf Trap. It was a good show overall, but I think that G&S should be done in a small theater, not the 103’ monster stage at Wolf Trap. Unfortunately, Malcolm (the Director of the TAP production this Fall), who had sold me on the idea of designing with the carrot: “An all flown Pirates…” saw all of the lovely, truck-and-bus platforming (which, incidentally, they did not use!) has now decided that he needs “levels”…

Every director I have ever worked with has wanted “levels”.

I also dropped the ball this week. I usually don’t miss deadlines. I have gotten very good at meeting them. In fact, it’s a matter of pride for me. But I do have this, shall we say, biological need to be “slobbolicious” for a whole day, about once a month (perhaps a bit more). I need a day of doing absolutely nothing. It just so happened, that my drawings for the lobster comic were due on Monday…and I was “slobbolicious” all day. I think it has worked out for the best. Part of my, er, blockage was due to the length of the script. I have scheduled a meeting with Gabe to talk about editing it down, with hopes of getting it done by next Friday (6/16)…

This week is crunch time for the Laocoon. I will have pictures of it completed by the next posting, because by then it will be at Studioneight, waiting to be hung …

No comments: