Wednesday, April 26, 2006

What a pain in the can

Sardine Can Design for Trixie Little
Scanned Sketches, VectorWorks, Photoshop. 2006
I think the sketch is "Spankin' good!"
The Cleoesque spanking fish might be a bit too Disney, but you try making a fish sexy...

This week has been about doing it either well or often. I have done a number of revisions on this sardine can. Each version has made an improvement on the final design. It’s just a shame that we have to rush, with a one week from start to finish deadline.

Bills flats are out the door. In fact, the Chernobyl exhibit went up today. I hope it went well…

The highlight of the weekend was Vern’s party. His place is a great treat to be in. I really consider him one of the top collectors in the metro area. Sure the things that he collects are not priceless art. But the value is created by the whole collection.

My first Imagination Stage production meeting (Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and Fiddler on the Roof) was on Monday. I have high hopes that I will be able to make these “portfolio piece” productions, however, one director doesn’t seem to share my vision yet… I have been told that I should paint backdrops for these shows. So I might still be able to get some painting in.

The Versus project is going quite slowly, but I will make an effort to do some this coming week. Every day that I don’t do any of it is a day that makes the whole thing seem less like a good idea. I really need to be involved in the mechanics of painting in order to keep myself from analyzing myself out of it.

There is a call for submissions from Studioneight. It’s called “Reinterpreting the Masters”. I submitted the Rembrandt painting from the Dutch Masters cigar box as my “master painting” to draw from. I thought it was very droll…but it turns out that Larry Rivers did the same sort of thing (albeit sloppier) back in the day…I still think there’s time to work something up, since the show is in early June…

No comments: