Wednesday, January 25, 2006

MICA interview


Here I am again, trying to write this entry under a very tight deadline. So much gets left out….The big story this week is my open house visit to MICA. I think that, based on the impressions I got over the event, that I might have a shot. I had a very positive interview, where I espoused my idea that performance art could be so much better if someone of my sensibilities could produce some. Never mind that I don’t have any real burning desire to do any performance art. But I can see how my tiki/lowbrow aesthetic could be married with performance. In fact, I am already doing that with some of the work I am producing with Trixie. My interviewer said that she would (probably) endorse me as a candidate because I have not only the technical skill, but a grasp of contemporary issues. She also said that I would “shake things up”….So, I think I will take the plunge. This program feels like the right fit at the right time.  Besides, who needs $60,000 laying around anyway….

The next step in the process is to get letters of recommendation, which is a dicey proposition (and a scary one, it has stopped me from even starting applications in the past) because I don’t have any good academic connections lately…I still have a letter from Tom Parish, but for all I know, he could be dead…(as it turns out, he’s not…just retired) I will have to go through my old files to find who else I have asked in the past.

Hearing the students and graduates give their slideshows really gave me a shot in the arm. I can really see penetrating deep into my work, but at the same time I am scared that the “rarefied air” has some poison in it. I like the idea of having a year to absorb the lessons learned from this six week immersion…I think it will keep me from drinking the kool-aid. (Unlike some of the conceptual art cult that seems to be there…) I must stay connected to object making.

The sketchbook has had nothing but words in it. This signals to me that there is a reformulation of strategy going on….Thoughts:

Perhaps a self-portrait with cut paper is the next big jump.

Rigged Carnival games…as performance? Paintings will get caught up in the figure running the game…how to avoid?

Interviewer suggested that I get deeper into research about performance art…is the convergence between my painting and lessons learned from theater really where I want to go?

The other problem is getting ones thoughts organized and in one format! (From sketchbook)

Hillary Spurling---Matisse Biography

…Till next week Cash…

1 comment:

Jorja Beet said...

2009 interview of the right and wonderful skills. The inquiry during the interview is done for the essay center in success. The benefits of the interview are conducted for the overall triumph of the humans.