Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Cindy and NYC

Cindy and NYC

Cindy Lauper was one of the best concerts I’ve ever been to. With the minor exceptions for the very weak singing by Sandra Bernhard and the standing crunch of the 930 club, it was really great. Something about her songs that survives the transition from bubblegum 80’s music to 53 year-old 2005 Cindy….

After that we went to NYC. Kyle and Alexia were fabulous. Their place in Brooklyn was really homey. I got the feeling that we were a bit high impact for them…but they knew what they were getting into.

After the Frick, we hit the MoMA for the Liz Murray show. It was good, but not as good as I had hoped. The color doesn’t translate in reproduction. The shaped canvases are cool, but they are a bit labored, perhaps forced…I just don’t feel like they picked the best pieces to represent her. The chronological order also seems to be almost a hindrance. The blatant way that the fluorescent paint comes out in the recent work, it feels like the jump that Frank Stella made in the 80’s, which is happily a phase he worked through… What impressed me is her open-ended funkiness…

The architecture in the new MoMA seems much like many office buildings built today. It doesn’t seem to help the art along much either. The collection seemed to be heavy on the "this begat that", perhaps more than before. The contemporary stuff seemed squished in high ceilinged rooms….Did I miss the Pixar stuff? Or was it just the vitrines outside the bathrooms?  The Redon exhibit was cool, but I can’t get over my dislike of lithography…

Otto’s shrunken head was a bit disappointment. Alexia got offered coke in the bathroom…But I did get to keep my mug…

I have done very little work, just organizing, which seems like treading water. I am a slave to my Outlook. But it is a pushover of a master. I can just move an appointment when I don’t meet expectations. However, I have actually been doing these entries since I made them a recurring appointment….

I will be sending off my paintings for Artromp 18 tomorrow. I have only completed 4 of the ones started at the beginning of the month. It’s kinda pathetic…

I have been procrastinating about the elevations for Noises; I will need to crank them out in earnest soon! Looking forward to a few weeks of hardcore scene painting in January…

I have slowly been working on a Trixie little drop in my mind…I’ve even called for a wild ballpark estimate from Theater services and supply…Ill talk to Joel about the rocket while we drive home.

Joel and I will be driving my truck to Detroit for Xmas. Ill be back early next week, so I will have another week of treading water to write about…Merry Christmas…

No comments: