Thursday, March 03, 2011

Propaganda Arm of ArtbyJared Goes AWOL During Month of February...Few Notice...

Yeah, I took a month off from the blog...lots happened....I might tell you about it, but because so much is happening right now, I think we should just stick to the Headlines:

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog opens at the DCAC! Scenery Appreciation Night will be Saturday March 12th, Get your tickets HERE

DC Premiere! Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog
"Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog" name, literary material and characters and musical compositions used by permission from
Time Science Blood Club, LLC. (c) 2008 Time Science Blood Club, LLC



March 3 - 27
7:30 pm

DC Arts Center, 2438 18th Street, NW
(in the heart of Adams Morgan)

The internet sensation comes to Washington, DC.
Don't miss it!

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, the hit made-for-the-web musical miniseries of 2008, comes to the stage in a production by the Landless Theatre Company. Co-created by writer-producer Joss Whedon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly), it follows the tongue-in-cheek adventures of aspiring arch-villain Dr. Horrible; his nemesis, the hunky Captain Hammer; and love interest, Penny. The show, directed by Andrew Lloyd Baughman, kicks off Landless Theatre's 2011 "Season of Horrible Taste."

For tickets and information visit the Landless website at: www.landlesstheatrecompany.org!

Of Course, for you loyal BTT readers, I can share with you the design of the the set:

The show is going to be awesome, and not just for you Whedonheads...So buy your tickets today!

The next Headline on the agenda is: What are you doing for Fat Tuesday (NEXT TUESDAY 3/8)? Well, if you are like me, you will be going to the Claendon Mardi Gras parade. Once there you will be able to vie with the throngs in order to receive beads from...THE YURI'S NIGHT FLOAT!!! Below is the super top secret plans for the float...don't tell anyone!

And just in case you thought I was kidding...here's the poster for the event (designed by Richard Thompson!)

Speaking of Mardi Gras...I just wanted to share a Mardi Gras project from a few weeks back...it was for the DC Mardi Gras in the Dupont Hilton...I just painted the seafood, but I think it turned out pretty good (despite the crappy cell phone camera photo)

On Sunday I will be attending the WATCH (Washington Area Theater Community Honors) Awards...Seems I am nominated for two awards...both for Outstanding Set Painting in a Musical...Reefer Madness (Dominion Stage) and The Producers (Arlington Players)...this will be my 8th nomination with no wins...Wish me luck!

I did sell a painting this week...He's a collector of my work, and kinda a monkey enthusiast. Anyway, he surprised me when he showed me a tattoo of a piece of mine that he bought:

That shady looking monkey is "the spy" from 2006...I like how the nipple looks like the sun rising over the "near east" skyline...

And Speaking of Monkeys...I have been working on a monkey painting for Yuri's Night....I can share some progress shots with you, so you can play the "I remember it when" game...

This is the very first stage of the painting. Its a larger painting that I am used to (in fact, the table top easel is not working for me because I cant reach the top of the painting!) but at 30" x 36" its child's play compared to what I do for theater!

Here's the painting after I've blocked in the color. Its going to be called "Monkey Moonshot"...so it is only natural that the monkeys would try to go at night when the moon is out...I am having a lot of fun playing with the light from the moon, spotlight and match...Hopefully I will be able to get it done by the drop off date for C2YN in less than two weeks!

Just in case you haven't heard, here's the scoop on C2YN (and check out the video below!):

C2YN (COUNTDOWN TO YURI’S NIGHT)

TUE MAR 15 –SAT APR 30, 2011/FREE/MEZZ GALLERY

OPENING RECEPTION: THUR, MAR 17, 5:30-7:30PM/FREE/MEZZ GALLERY

18 artists exhibit work centered on the theme of Man’s journey into space. Exploring both science-fact and science-fiction, these artists deliver unique perspectives on the cosmos. C2YN (Countdown to Yuri’s Night) launches the 50th anniversary of Cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin’s first human spaceflight, which will be celebrated at the Artisphere on April 9th 2011. Some of the exhibiting artists include: Chris Bishop, Stephen Blickenstaff , Scott Brooks, Jared Davis, Alan Defibaugh, Dana Ellyn, Elstabo, Todd Gardner, Linas Garsys, Sherill Anne Gross, Rob Hornung, Emily Greene Liddle, Rob Lindsay, Dave Savage, Matt Sesow, Michael Enn Sirvet, Steve Strawn, Andrew Wodzianski.

www.outofthisworldparty.com

Jared Davis (Countdown to Yuri's Night) from Artisphere on Vimeo.

No comments: