Friday, September 07, 2007

Batboy Designs & ARTROMP20 opens!

Another busy week where not much has been produced that is worth posting as a finished product. However, much of my time was taken up by Planet Arlington this past weekend, so I was pretty pooped by the time labor day rolled around. We are in the final stretch of painting Joseph, so I will try to post pictures "post load-in to the theater" next week.

I also was able to get a good handle on the sketches for Batboy the Musical this week. To give you an idea of how challenging this show has been, (its a good show, but its hard to do anything other than the intelligent obvious with the set if you are trying to be clever, and this production opens at the same time as Joseph...)
This is the DCAC space empty. One of the challenges of working here (other than it being very small) is that all scenery needs to be setup in 15 minutes or less, and then struck in 15 minutes every night...
This is the design for batboy thus far. The director wants to put the band offstage, and on a platform (spilling into the USR doorway) which means that I need to make a foldable "parallel" platform. I will be repainting the Cannibal drop from last year, and adding an "arch" that will give the feeling of a West Virginia railroad trestle/mine/cave/slaughterhouse/revival tent/veterinarian's house...
This is a photoshop sketch of the backdrop. I have sewn together a number of different sources and I haven't made any attempt to make them "seamless" because its a sketch. I have found that I enjoy working on the drop more than sketching beforehand, and I am kept more interested if I have things in the design that I don't quite know how I am going to paint until I start...so you can look forward to the finished product soon.

Lastly, I want to urge you to come out the Artromp20 tonight (I have two screenprints, a painting and a drawing in the show). It promises to be a historic occasion!
ArtRomp20
the grand finale
Friday Sept 7th Warehouse 6pm til late
*art *performance *projection inside and out *picnic in the parking lot
artists - hipsters - friends - patrons come bring a friend - free
See the work of artists from all the years of ArtRomps
See art in all the Warehouse spaces buzzing with the echos of the past
Be part of the past and future of Warehouse. AND as usual Food - Drink - Fun
ArtRomp 20 Sept 7- Sept 30
Warehouse
1021 7th Street NW

No comments: